Friday, January 20, 2017

Jason - Mundane






Weekly Grocery Trip

To the market go I, as the cupboards are bare,
It had been but a week since I last had been there.
In a ritual way, must we drive round the lot,
Like a shark in the sea ‘til there opens a spot.
Now to some this must be an incredible bore,
“Not that daunting,” think I of my trips to the store.
As the door made of glass made a rapid retreat,
I could see all the produce my kids like to eat.
From the Honeycrisp apples to lettuce, Romaine.
Would they still be all eaten or taste on the wane?
The bananas, if green, would be perfect by lunch.
While they be hit or miss, baby carrots add crunch.
From the fresh land of leaves where my journey did start,
Sojourn deeper within as I’m filling my cart.
And the next stop to make is the aisle of bread,
Which once home never lasts, quite as long as it should.
Now a Reuben on Rye is a fantastic thing,
But it fails to bring joy if that loaf I so bring.
No they want something sweet without too many seeds,
Like Hawaiian or a wheat, which will just meet our needs.
With the cart now weighed down with the bread of our choice,
It’s the contents inside which I now must be moist.
From the honey kissed ham to the foul touch with smoke,
I am looking for meat which my hunger does stoke.
And then salsa, then yogurt, granola, then chips.
I find Cinnamon swirls then my willpower slips.
One more row I walk down where the air has a chill,
With the colorful cartons which give me a thrill.
Then the sale price I see, pick up two for just five,
I think two is so few so at four I arrive.
I get Chocolate Chip and then two of the S’mores,
So I dream of vanilla and exit the doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment