Sunday, August 28, 2016

Justin - Nature Cinquains

About the writing
I had to do some research on this one. I have never written a cinquain before and it is clearly so uncommon that Word is marking it as a misspelled word. Simply a cinquain is a five line poem with each line having a specific length of words or syllables. As I tend to be a bit slaving to the sound of poetry, I chose the American form of which the lines in order have two, four, six, eight, and two syllables.

I like the elegance and simplicity of the form. The topic was “something nature-y” which was me not being sure what to pick but being inspired by the beauty of my surroundings. Some people title cinquains which allows them essentially to add a line. I chose to leave mine untitled. I think the subjects are fairly evident, so what’s the point of a title anyway? Also, with such an elegant form, why mar it with silly punctuation marks?

I don’t have a particular suggestion for font, but I do recommend finding a nice forested campground, building a fire, and reciting them while roasting marshmallows for smores.
 
Three Cinquains
 
Floating
Hovering near
Wings a blur of motion
Her head bends to drink the nectar
Zip, Gone

Flowing
Playing o’er rocks
Singing a merry song
Like the laughter of a child
Splashing

Swaying
Bent in the breeze
Waltzing the wind’s rhythm
Immovable and yet dancing
Breathing






No comments:

Post a Comment