Sunday, February 14, 2016

Fiasco - Justin

About the Writing


This was a lot of fun. For story inspiration I went with a Woody Allen short story about Count Dracula accidentally going out in midday because of an eclipse. For form inspiration, I hope you can see what I went with. The style was fun and I think it works with the idea of fiasco. The issue I see is Seuss manages to get fuller ideas into these silly poems, whether through added length or through illustrations. So it feels less fleshed out. Also, his work is all whimsy which seems like it should just happen by letting it. It does not. Whimsy is work, at least at my station in life. I hope I managed to get some in there. Looking at the overall project as a means of challenge and pushing to meet those challenges, I found this rewarding and probably worth trying again. It’s fun to mimic another person’s style, even if poorly.

The Count in the Cape


The sun did not shine
Hidden away by the moon
So they sat and they watched
The eclipse there that noon

The whole town watching
There was no need to work
All were at their homes
Watching this natural quirk

The baker and missus
Watched through their window
Not needing to bake
Or roll out the thin dough


Then something went bump!
And that bump made them jump
They Looked
They looked and they saw at their door a shape
They looked and they saw him, the count in the cape
And he said to them “why do you sit there agape?”

“I know it is late
And there’s no need for work
But you could surely do more
Then just sit there like jerks”

“There are many great things you can do in the night”
Said the count
“There are games for the dark”
Said the count in the cape
“Many good games
I can show them to you
You will like them
I’m certain you’ll like them you two.

The baker was flustered
Not sure what to say
“It is not yet night
It’s the middle of the day”

But the missus said “Count
What a strange thing to say
To arrive here at noon on
The full eclipse day.
To come here all dressed
Like you’re going to a ball
And pretend you know nothing
About it at all.”

“Have no fear” said the count
Said the count in the cape
“My mind is not gone
Tis all still ship-shape”
But looking with worry
At the ring round the moon
“Let’s play a game called
Hide in the closet of broom”

They were shocked then to see
This man run inside
Of their janitor’s closet
Intending to hide

“How strange” said the missus
“How strange” said the man
To have the land’s lord
Tucked away with the dustpan
He should not be there
In the back of their shop
He should not be there
All shut up with their mop

“Come out” said the baker
“You should be our guest
You hiding in the closet
Has my missus distressed”

“I’m fine” said the count
“I don’t mind the must
I’ll just stay here in quiet
Waiting for dusk
It seems I came early
That was my err
Just go on with your business
Pretend I’m not there”

“Get him out” said the wife
“Get him out of the closet
Whatever the reason
Whatever has caused it
We can’t go through the day
With him hiding in there
The count in the cape
This is really quite rare”

“My dear count” said the man
“You must come out, I insist
The day has come back
You have missed the eclipse
We can’t work here pretending
You’re not in there hiding
A broom closet is not where
You should be abiding”

He then grabbed the door
And opened it up in a flash
No Count in the Cape there
Just a pile of ash.

No comments:

Post a Comment