Friday, May 12, 2017

Jason - protest



It’s a long night’s awaitin’ them

Oh, what have you done, my mighty God?
Oh, what have you done, to my darling young ones?
They've shuffled on the side of two open caskets
They've walked and they've crawled as four broken strangers
They've stood in the middle of six sad classrooms
They've been out in front of the other grieved daughters
They've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard
And it's a long, and it's a long, it's a long, and it's a long
And It’s a long night’s awaitin’ them

Oh, what did you show, my mighty God?
Oh, what did you show, to my darling young ones?
They saw a new pressed joy and despairs all consume it
They saw a seat at their wedding with nobody on it
They saw a black yard where people kept huggin’
They saw a room full of men with their uniforms pressed
They saw a white cover draped over their mother
They saw ten thousand mourners whose hearts were all broken
They saw hope in snapshots in the hands of young children
And it's a long, and it's a long, it's a long, it's a long
And It’s a long night’s awaitin’ them

And what did you say, my mighty God?
And what did you say, to my darling young ones?
They heard the sound of a thunder, a trumpet from heaven
Heard the roar of a wave that would drown their whole world
Heard themselves hurtin’, They heard many people laughin'
Heard the song of the pastor who spoke when they couldn’t
Heard the sound of their dad who cried on the front porch
And it's a long, and it's a long, it's a long, it's a long
And It’s a long night’s awaitin’ them

Oh, who did they meet, my mighty God?
Who did you bring, to my darling young ones?
They met a young child who drew them a rainbow
They met a woman who lost a father
They met a young woman who offered no comfort
They met a young girl, she gave them her tears
They met one man who thought he was wise
They met another man who was searching for answers
And it's a long, it's a long, it's a long, it's a long
It’s a long night’s awaitin’ them

Oh, what'll you do now, my mighty God?
Oh, what'll you do now, to my darling young ones?
They’re awaitin' the sun but the night starts a-fallin'
They'll sail to the depths of the deepest black trenches
Where the council is many but their heads are all empty
Where the phrases of poison are drownin’ their voices
Where the home of their birth becomes the dim lonely prison
Where the executioner's face is covered in scripture
Where hunger is sated, but their bellies turn bitter
Where black is the ocean, where days have a number
And They'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it
And reflect it from their faces so all souls can see it
Then I'll stand by that ocean until I start sinkin'
But you know my protest well before I start cryin'
And it's a long, it's a long, it's a long, it's a long
It’s a long night’s awaitin’ me

No comments:

Post a Comment