Friday, June 23, 2017

Justin - Spoon River Shakespeare


Rosencrantz or Guildenstern

I was a friend to the prince;
A childhood playmate and a school mate in Wittenberg.
I only ever sought his happiness.
When his father died and his uncle took the throne,
I saw how the prince was troubled.
When the new king asked that I see after his nephew,
I was happy to attend my friend in his time of need.
I only sought to bring him peace.
When the king sent us to England,
I swear to you I did not know what was in his letter.
I would not have delivered my friend to the executioner.
Yet, the prince found the letter;
He assumed my affections were false.
He thought I knew.
So, he abandoned me to the pirates when they attacked,
And I, having given my life to the service of the court,
Am only now remembered in coupling with the other.
No one ever says “Rosencrantz” or “Guildenstern;”
Always “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.”
Always together.
Even here in this unmarked grave.
Even I can scarcely remember which name is mine;
Rosencrantz or Guildenstern?
I don’t suppose it matters anymore.
I mean, what's in a name?
I can only hope my friend, Prince Hamlet, found his happiness and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment