Saturday, September 2, 2017

Justin - White Privilege


I struggle with the words
“I AM NOT PRIVILEGED” I want to scream
I have struggled
I have lived in low income housing
I have lived on state aid
I have swept the yard for needles left by junkies so my daughter can go out and play

I struggle with the words and with the definition
How broad can we define privilege before we err in not saying racism?
If we call privilege undeserved advantage how far can we go?
When my rights are left intact, is that undeserved?
Shouldn’t we look at the rights violation and not the one treated as he should?

I struggle with the words and the definition and with the idea
This privilege is bad; this privilege should bring guilt,
Yet I did not ask for this privilege; why am I blamed?



I struggle with the words, the definition, and the idea because I don’t want to struggle with the issue.
And I don’t have to,
Because I am white,
And that is my privilege.


I can pretend I am not privileged while I am waved past the receipt checker at Wal-Mart while all of the “brown people” are stopped
I can pretend it is not privilege when I drive through the streets not afraid of being targeted
I can pretend I am not privileged, because I didn’t choose it
But I am privileged
And until I am fighting and pushing and screaming so that everyone feels as privileged as me
I am part of the problem
Even if I ignore it
As is my privilege

No comments:

Post a Comment