Monday, September 18, 2017

Justin - the Best and Absolute Worst so far.


I have heard artists of various stripes say that ranking their pieces is akin to ranking their children.  I found this to be true; it is very difficult for me to pick my favorite, whereas, the worst is a constant nagging noise in the back of my head that will not leave me alone. That being said let me start with the worst.

    Early on in this project, the fourth week, the current president was a candidate that many of us thought was unelectable.  Regardless, he was gaining some popularity and I thought we should write something about him.  It failed, hugely.  It was bad enough that in my write up about the writing I admitted that it was both not funny and that it was probably a swing and a miss.  I tried using actual Trump quotes and placing them in a false interview with a pretty snarky interviewer.  Reading it now, it looks like the kind of thing that a middle or high school kid would piece together when they first started becoming politically aware.  That is, there was an idea of understanding of the problems, but no solutions.  There was no real handling of the problems I was trying to highlight, just sarcastic comments about them.  The bottom line is it was ill conceived and poorly written.  I don’t think I imagined I was going to change anyone’s minds about Trump, so I’m not really sure what I was thinking.  It was the kind of piece that at best would land with half of the readers, and that’s only if it’s done well, which it wasn’t.    I heard an interview recently where a songwriter responded to the compliment that one of his songs had “great lyrics” with “not great but clever.” I think at the beginning I thought the idea was clever, but even as it was published, I knew it was not good, definitely not great, and not even clever.  Those of us who were there talk about it like one might talk about a terrible car accident that they were in; we’re still alive, but we don’t really have anything else good to say about.

It’s harder for me to pick my favorite.  I’ve managed to narrow it down to two pieces that I am fairly proud of.  The first was the conflict ballade, Ballade of the Flood, from May of last year.  More than a year of writing later, this could still be my favorite poem. I managed to capture the imagery and idea and execute the form well.  I prefer strictly formed poems to free verse, and I’m pretty proud of this one.  It was hard writing and in my commentary, I mention that I started with four different concepts before settling on the final idea.  Sometimes poetry flows, sometimes it’s an uphill climb.  This was a climb, but I think it’s better for it or at least I appreciate the result more because it was such a challenge.

The second piece is A Dark Solace from May of this year (maybe May is just a good month for poetry.)  This one was not a climb; it was not a fight.  It flowed quickly, I knew the ideas I wanted to use and the words fell easily into rhythm.  At this point, we had stopped doing commentary on the project blog, so I don’t have a record of the exact process, but I remember the editing of the poem after I had flown through the original draft. There was specific word choices that I changed and I added punctuation (something I comment about intentionally not doing in the ballade.) Also, although it follows a strict form, it is not a fixed form.  I picked the form and my instruction was a poem, written in sestets, at least X amount of stanzas, envoi is allowable.  So, this seems more like my own work than many poems written in a fixed form and I find myself very attached to it.  Also, the poem is about depression, something that I have dealt with intermittently for most of my adult life.  That makes it more personal to me and, although I don’t think good art needs to be about personal issue, I think in this case it helps.

So, that’s that.  Like children, it’s much easier to find the worst than the best, disappointments are heavy and there’s a lot of mediocrity in the middle.  Overall, I wouldn’t give the project up for anything, but next time I get the urge to write about a living politician, I might instead carefully construct a performance piece allegorically bashing my head into a brick wall. 

The links to my top two are below, I am not including a link to the Trump piece, if you want to dig it up, you can, but for my money, it’s best left buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment