Friday, July 21, 2017

Justin - Toast to my parents


To my parents, for all they have taught me:
The fact that my parents have been married for forty-four years is in itself a testament in itself. Marriage is work. It is rewarding; it is beautiful; it is a tremendous blessing, but it is work. I never feared that my parents would get a divorce. I didn’t understand the mechanics of their marriage (I still don’t) but I never feared for it. I didn't see the work or understand how it worked, but I didn't need to. It is for better or worse, in sickness and health, ‘til death. I saw those vows play out and recognized that they were important without being told "this is important." That is something I learned from them without being taught. So, to my parents and their example of dedication.
                That work that went into their marriage is part of a larger work ethic. My parents are both hard workers, or in my retired dad’s case, was a hard worker. I don’t remember either of them taking sick days. When they were at a task, they were at it one hundred percent. Although my school work did not always show that level of work ethic, by the time I was being paid to do a job, I recognized that I was not being paid for half of my effort, but for all of it. I have been viewed well by the people I have worked for largely I think due to the work ethic that I learned from my parents. So, to my parents and their work ethics that they have passed down to their children.
                The most valuable thing my parents gave me though is faith. I was in church, barring traveling, every Sunday. Usually for Sunday School and morning and evening services. Usually midweek as well. My parent’s both taught Sunday School. They were both active in leadership of the church and various church ministries. The work ethic that they had in their jobs carried to their service of their church. It was not an option or even a question. They went to church, they served in the church. It was simply how it was. "Faith without works is dead;" no one would imagine saying my parents faith is dead; that they don't live out their faith in their work. And so, to my parents for their witness and their service.
                It may sound like my praise of my parents has little to do with parenting, but what are the results? Their two sons are both dedicated to their families. They are hard workers who take their jobs seriously. They are both active workers and leaders in their respective churches. The rules and punishments; the family trips and family games; the obligations of keeping us dressed and fed; they did those things and they did fine. But I am most thankful for the example. I am a productive adult, an involved father and husband, an active faithful member of my church not because they told me how to do those things or even necessarily said that I had to do those things. I am those things because I saw them being done. I was taught by their example.
                So to my parents, who did the best they could and, based on the results, I say with all humility, their best was quite good. Thank you for all the strain and work of making me a functional adult. I love you both.
               Now please, stand up and raise a glass to my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment