Friday, November 11, 2016

Justin-CIty Love Poem



Plymouth, My First True Love
Could it be said you were my first true love?
Safe haven from an oft too frightening world
Shelter from all ugliness outside
Instilling small town humbleness and pride
Of tree lined streets with flags in breeze unfurled
Those rain slicked streets soft with lamp light pearled
When coming from the Bean or Penn I stride
And to you all my fealty I confide
As I feel your arms about me curled
Yes, I must say you are my first true love.
But did you know you were my first true love?
Though others may have vied to take your place
You are the measure by which I compare
Looking for your heart in city square
Looking for your warmth in street's embrace
And when the autumn morphs the foliage face
I think of cider drank in chilly air
Strolling a Fall Festival thoroughfare
So how could one my love for you replace?
Oh, you must know you are my first true love
But do you hold me still, my first true love?
As life has caused me far from you to roam
Out here ‘neath western sky by mountain’s peak
Or those long years in bleary desert bleak
Taking barren sand for fertile loam
In my heart, all leads to you as Rome
So when your name I see the signpost speak
My eyes awake as your first view I seek
And seeing you I know that I am home
And that you hold me still, my first true love.
And you should know that leaving you I wept
Knowing in my absence you would change
But always safe your memory I’ve kept
Long miles can't my heart from you estrange
Nor can time passing cause the ending of
My love for Plymouth; you my first true love

No comments:

Post a Comment